March 9, 2014
Google builds a 'Nest' for future of smart homes - Yahoo News
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — When our Internet-connected gadgets and home appliances all learn to talk to each other, Google wants to be at the center of the conversation.
This imagined future is still a few years away, but Google is already preparing with its $3.2 billion acquisition of high-tech thermostat and smoke-detector maker Nest Labs.
The surprise deal announced earlier this week will provide Google Inc. with more tools to build a valuable hub for homes. It's a world of network-tethered toasters and tea kettles, or a so-called "Internet of Things," that is destined to reshape society, experts say, in the same way that smartphones have done in the seven years since Apple Inc. unveiled the iPhone.
Read more...Google builds a 'Nest' for future of smart homes - Yahoo News
Crave: The Gadget Blog
PCWorld Latest Technology News
CNET TV: Laptops
- ► 2017 (20)
- ► 2016 (75)
- ► 2015 (94)
- Gmail Traffic Between Google Servers Now Encrypted...
- Lightning-fast Internet from Google may come to Ph...
- Feds push for tracking devices in all new cars | T...
- Google Hopes Designer Frames Will Make Glass Less ...
- Watch for signs of ID theft
- Federal ban on drones doesn’t stop photography
- Google builds a 'Nest' for future of smart homes -...
- Apple agrees to refund $32.5M for kids' purchases ...
- Tweets and threats: Gangs find new home on the Net...
- Gas prices expected to decline in next 2 years
- ▼ March (10)
- ► 2013 (126)
- ► 2012 (117)
- ► 2011 (294)