August 20, 2013
Arizona home to one of world’s largest solar plants
GILA BEND — Just off the highway that many Valley residents travel on their way to California, thousands of mirrors planted on 3 square miles of former farmland are about to change the solar landscape in Arizona.
The $2 billion Solana Generating Station, once it begins sending power to the grid in August, will be one of the largest solar plants of its kind in the world. It won’t be unique in the amount of power it makes from the sun, but for what it generates after sunset.
Not only will the plant have a capacity of about 280 megawatts, enough to serve about 70,000 homes at once, but it will also be able to continue providing much of that power for six hours after sunset thanks to an innovative heat-storage system that doesn’t rely on expensive batteries.
Read more...Arizona home to one of world’s largest solar plants
Crave: The Gadget Blog
PCWorld Latest Technology News
CNET TV: Laptops
- ► 2016 (75)
- ► 2015 (94)
- ► 2014 (55)
- Google Glass beta test generates excitement, innov...
- Can the Fashion Industry Make Google Glasses Chic?...
- Microsoft details 3D printing in Windows 8.1 | PCW...
- Heavy Metal Television hiring music video DJs in P...
- Bezos, Amazon’s Founder, to Buy The Washington Pos...
- The First Lab-Grown Hamburger Is Served | Popular ...
- Facebook leaps into games publishing | news10.net
- A real keyboard for smartphones, tabs
- GoDaddy poised for more growth
- Arizona home to one of world’s largest solar plant...
- Scottsdale arming officers with body cameras
- QR Gameplan uses tech for tailored ads - USATODAY....
- ▼ August (12)
- ► 2012 (117)
- ► 2011 (294)