NEW YORK — NEW YORK T-Mobile USA, which just had its acquisition by AT&T blocked by regulators, is urging the federal government to block another deal in the wireless world: Verizon's planned purchase of spectrum from cable companies for $3.9billion.
In a filing late Tuesday, T-Mobile USA said the Federal Communications Commission should stop the deal between Verizon Wireless, Comcast Corp., Time Warner Cable Inc., Bright House Networks and Cox Communications because it would place an "excessive concentration" of wireless spectrum in Verizon's hands.
With more wireless spectrum, a phone company can raise download speeds and serve more data-hungry devices like smartphones and laptops with cellular broadband.
Verizon Wireless, the country's No. 1 cellphone company, already has a relatively large amount of spectrum, while T-Mobile, the No. 4, does not.
MetroPCS Communications Inc., the fifth-largest cellphone company, also urged the FCC to block the deal. It said the parties had not provided enough information to prove that the acquisition was in the public interest.
Ten public-interest groups filed their own motions to block the deal on Tuesday, ahead of a filing deadline on Wednesday.
by Associated Press Feb 23, 2012
T-Mobile asks FCC to halt Verizon's bid for cable deal - USATODAY.com
Crave: The Gadget Blog
PCWorld Latest Technology News
CNET TV: Laptops
- ► 2017 (23)
- ► 2016 (75)
- ► 2015 (94)
- ► 2014 (55)
- ► 2013 (126)
- T-Mobile asks FCC to halt Verizon's bid for cable ...
- Advertisers are spending way too much on print, to...
- FBI will shutdown the Internet on March 8 | The Ha...
- Why Many Links On Facebook Don’t Get Click-Through...
- 12 Quick Tips To Search Google Like An Expert
- Wrap your head around this BlackBerry concept | Cr...
- MySpace Adds 1 Million New Users, New Focus on Mus...
- Zillow Launches New Android App | Mortgage News | ...
- Hackers take over law-enforcement websites
- Arizona bills Amazon $53 million for uncollected s...
- Facebook and Twitter 'more addictive than tobacco ...
- NYT: Facebook spreads wealth high and low - Busine...
- Facebook's stock ticker: LIKE? TMI?
- Facebook vs. Google: The battle for the future of ...
- ▼ February (14)
- ► 2011 (294)